Saturday, January 16, 2016

Cheese + Beer = Shaw Brew Pub


My husband and I joined our fellow brew hoppers last week to visit the Shaw Brew Pub in Washington DC.  Shaw Brew Pub is a smaller brew house which features brews from Right Proper Brewing Company.  We had a great time; this is definitely a place to check out.  There is plenty of outdoor seating with some rustic picnic tables which will be perfect once the weather warms up.

Shaw Brew Pub seems to differentiate itself from other brew houses by not only offering a great selection of brews and food, but also having a pretty impressive cheese selection.  I was surprised not to find that highlighted on their website (maybe it's a new offering).  They have a cheese counter and an entire cheese menu to order from.


Let's face it, cheese is awesome, especially with beer, and the beer was good - definitely worth trying.  My only complaint/recommendation is the fact that they do not offer beer flights.  I'm a huge fan of beer flights.  First of all, I like to try everything and the only way I can physically do that is to drink 4-6 oz small glass of each brew.  Additionally, I don't like committing to an entire beer if I'm not 100% certain I will enjoy it.  Luckily, they do offer the ability for a customer to taste the brew before ordering.  I ended up ordering the Range Life which is a hop-focused, wheat beer (5.7% abv)  It was extremely flavorful.  My friend ordered the No Depression, which is described as a country alt (5.5% abv).

Another aspect is that the Shaw Brew Pub seems to be kid-friendly.  Maybe it was because it was a Sunday afternoon - but there was a small group of parents in a far corner celebrating their child's birthday.  Interesting.  Also, I'm sure when the weather turns and people sit outside, it seems like a place which might even be dog friendly in their outdoor seating area.  

One last (but most definitely not least) highlight to mention was the food selection.  In my opinion, this is the kind of place that you should offer multiple appetizers to share.  "Sharesies" is what they refer to on their menu.  We wanted every single one of them.  We ended up ordering the brussel sprouts with a sticky sweet tai sauce (and topped with crushed peanuts and scallions) as well as the smoked salmon mousse with house made pickles.  Amazing.  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment